Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We have internet!

Yay! We finally have internet! I can now type to you from the comfort of my living room instead of having to balance my laptop on the windowsill!
Things are going well. I've been teaching Halloween this week which is fun, but a little bit difficult.
Joseph and I went with our friend Stephen (another Language Assistant, from LA) out to Inca, which is the second largest city in Mallorca. It was about 45 minutes away by train. We got to see a lot of the country side, which was nice. They were having a big Sunday market, which was really cool.
Now a bit about Spanish food.
First and foremost, they do not refrigerate their milk. Which is just plain creepy. I dunno how it works, but it does. The milk does not have to be refrigerated until it's opened.
The grocery stores bake bread daily, which is awesome.
When eating out, tomatoes come on everything and olives always come on the side.
Not having a microwave is kind of nice. I feel like I eat a lot more healthy. But cooking with a gas stove and oven have their own set of challenges. It took us about half an our to get the oven lit the first time. And then about 2 weeks to figure out that was the grill setting (which is why everything was coming out burned). We know have the bake setting figured out, but unfortunately it has no temperature setting. In fact it only appears to have 2 settings - on and off.
Fresh fruit and veggies are cheap and easy to come by. Not so much from the grocery store down stairs. But there are tons of little fruit stores everywhere. And there is a big market everyday until 2 right down the street. And on Saturday's it is twice as big and super crowded. But it's nice to have such great access to them.
I have a new found appreciation for seedless grapes. Because they do not exist here.
I am in love with "creme de cocoa con avellana" which is basically like chocolate frosting with hazelnut, only I get the kind that is half regular and half white chocolate, and it is super fantastic. Spread it on some butter cookies and mmmmmmmm.
A really popular mallorcan pastry is "ensamada" and they have it at every cafe and on every desert menu. It's basically just sweet bread in a swirly shape, but they came in all sizes (like pizza sizes) and with lots of different fillings (my favorite is the creme, but I haven't tried the peach yet).
They have this awesome flavor of ice cream here called "stracciatella" which is kinda like vanilla with ribbons of brownie in it - but better! It is sooo good.
The cereal selection isn't nearly as wide here, but they have the knock-off frosted flakes so I'm good.
We'll I guess that'll do for now. We have a three day weekend coming up, and if we get paid in time, we might try to hop over to "the peninsula" (the main land of Spain). But we'll see. Hope everyone is doing great over there!

PS: Don't forget to vote!!

No comments: