Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Slackers

Okay, I know we've been slacking lately, but school has kicked into full gear, we're still trying to get basic things like bank accounts and internet etc., so we've been pretty distracted. All apologies. Anyway, we've at least set up our bank accounts, now hopefully the schools and government will figure out how they're going to pay us! What have we been up to since our last post? We've been to a few beaches (it's funny, whenever I tell that to my students, they look at me like I'm crazy because it's so "cold" but in my opinion, it's still great beach weather), we've enjoyed a few parties and bars (to understand the culture of Palma of course), although our adventures are still a bit limited since we haven't been paid. We're hoping to explore a little more of the island this weekend. We've gotten a few recommendations from coworkers. I also start my first tutoring job on Friday! I'll be helping the children of one of my coworkers. So far, it's only for one hour, but maybe I can bump it up to two. Nikki got offered a tutoring position today. While we were signing up for our bank accounts, the clerk was asking us questions. He asked where we were working and, coincidentally, his daughter attends one of Nikki's schools! So by the end, he said he'd email Nikki about possibly tutoring her. What else...Today we celebrated the Festival de Las Virgines. All the men go out at night and serenade the women at night. Then, during the day, they give the ladies clavelas (carnations). The women reward them with buñuelos (fried postres with potatoes in the middle, then sprinkled with powdered sugar). They reminded me of funnel cake or beignets. It was really sweet, the music was good, and the food was delicious. So far, that's all that's really happened. We spend a lot of time living a "European" lifestyle: making delicious meals with fresh food we buy nearly daily, spending time reading and writing in parks and cafes, etc. We live on a main avenue, but only a few blocks from the immigrant neighborhoods, so we have excellent restaurants and markets surrounding us. It's great. I've started writing another script. I hope it turns out well. Hopefully we'll have time to adventure out more with the next few weeks. Once I have more than 30 Euro in the bank. Thanks for the letters! I will try to find some stamps this week too so I can get on writing you back! Well that's all for now I guess. I miss y'all and love you a lot!

No comments: