I was not aware it was possible to get stressed out in Palma. But it is. After a week of searching for an apartment (albiet with more specific requirements) we narrowed it down to 2 options. One was this really nice modern place and the other was an older, but equally nice apartment. After complications with Miquel, the agent for the modern apartment, we signed a lease with the owners of the other, older, apartment. We lovingly call it "El Museo", or The Museum, because when we arrived, the owner wanted to give us a tour, "just like at a museum." It is also furnished with ornate antique furniture. It's spacious (even with 5 people living in it), has a HUGE terrace, is more or less centrally located from all of our schools, has a market grocery downstairs, AND turned out to be cheaper than the other place. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty sweet deal. We moved in this evening and have been enjoying not being homeless.
Yesterday we had orientation for our program. It started at 9AM and lasted until 3:30PM. But, luckily, the Spanish enjoy frequent breaks for coffee and food. Nikki and Jessica (a girl from Oregon we're living with) hoped that it would be conducted in English, but to their dismay it was in Spanish. It turned out to be quite informative (if you could understand them) and it was really nice to see all of the other students involved in the program. Not everyone will be in Palma, or even in Mallorca, but seeing and meeting all the others was comforting somehow; just knowing that were that many others going through the same experiences. It turns out that the Language Assistant program is not just for English speaking countries. There were a few German and French students there as well that will be teaching their students the respective languages. I think that the Americans outnumbered the other nationalities though, even the British. Surprisingly, we were informed by our Consulate representative (a nice lady from California) that there are very few Americans in the Islands, that this was the first year Americans were involved in the program, and that for many of our soon-to-be students, we would most likely be their first (and possibly only) physical contact with Americans and American culture. Talk about pressure! After eating the free food and drinking the free Coke, wine and beer, we were off.
Today was my first day of class. I arrived at 9AM at Col Legi de Arcangel San Rafel. There were many young children running and yelling in the courtyard (kids are the same no matter where you go). I met with Marta and Tina, the two teachers I will be helping the most. We had about an hour of planning (getting to know each other, going over material, etc.) during which I prepared a short PowerPoint to teach the students about where I come from. Marta really wanted me to be specific, so I chose to talk about Atlanta and the South more than America in general (although we did talk extensively about the country). I included pictures (the skyline (and Mom: I even pointed out your building. They really like that) MLK, fried chicken and sweet tea, Stone Mountain, etc), facts, and even Youtube clips to Southern music. The first class was from ages 11-13 and they were VERY curious and engaged and asked really fantastic questions. They were a lot of fun. The second class was up to about 16 years old and they were too cool to ask questions, so they were not as impressive. Hopefully I'll be able to pique their interests soon. I also got a phone! Finally! I've started out with a basic plan, but will soon upgrade to include international calls. We've also toyed with the idea of getting a landline for the flat because international calls are cheaper (when using a calling card). Anyway, things are going great. I think tomorrow will be filled with getting more things for the apartment and weather permitting, (it rained so hard last night that it leaked through my window onto the floor) we'll go to the beach again. Miss yall and I'll send you the mailing address as soon as I remember it.
1 comment:
I want to see pictures of your antique-y apt! I bet moving is such a breeze when you don't have to worry about furniture... "let's haul our suitcases up the stairs. done? okay, we're moved in!"
Miss yall!
Post a Comment