Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Two in One Day?!

So apparently Joseph and I were writing simultaneous blogs without even realizing it! Since he posted his first, I’ll amend mine to exclude the bank account and Day of the Virgins that he has already covered, but here is everything else!

I know, I know, the updates are few and far between. But we still don’t have internet and there is so much to say, I never know where to start or what to include.
Today’s topic? Work:
I finally just went over to my other school and found my way to the head English teacher. The school, San Francesco (not to be confused with my other school, Sant Francesc d’Assis) is only a 15 minute walk away and it is HUGE, at least 5 stories by my count (well only 4 according to them, because Spaniards don’t count the first floor). It covers every course (so from ages 3 to 18) and has multiple classes of each course (unlike my other school where there is only one class of each). I’m only working in the primary section, which I thought was kind of odd since I think my advanced level of English could be put to better use with the older students, but it’s still great. I work with both 6th grade classes, both 5th grade classes, one 2nd grade, and one 1st grade. I would say my students here know more English than at my other school, but not by much. Unlike my other school, where there is only 1 English teacher, there are several, so the student’s levels also depend on their teachers. Some emphasize reading/writing with others emphasizes speaking, some do activities, so do rote memorization, so it varies. One of the non-English teachers at the school wants to improve her conversational English, so starting this Thursday I will give her a one hour lesson each week. Of course I’m not charging her a lot, but it will be nice to have a little bit of pocket money.
I get to plan some Halloween activities for next week which should be fun! But I’ve been spoiled with technology. There is zero technology in any of my classes. No smart boards, no overhead projectors, not even white boards! Just good old fashion chalk and black boards. So it has definitely taken some re-getting use to. I thought my big school might have at least overhead projectors since apparently it is much harder to get into and a large portion of the student’s parents work in the near by Parliament building, but no such luck.
Ok, that’s all for now!
Luego!

No comments: