Well there isn't really much new to say, but I thought I should at least check in anyways. Things here have been going well. It's finally nice and sunny again (highs in the mid-60s)! So nice we even went to the beach the other day. It's not warm enough to swim yet, but it was nice to just lay out. We threw our first party last night. All of our new Spanish friends came, it was a lot of fun. Stephen made some awesome home-make guacamole. But unfortunately I woke up Friday with a sinus infection (my teacher teased me about getting sick on Fridays instead of on a Monday!) so I bowed out of the party early to lay in bed and catch some Z's.
School has been great and I've been doing some really fun activities with my kids. Last week they got to create a commercial. But even after a week of talking about comparisons, they still said things like "Is very very cheaper." *sigh* Gotta love 'em. This week they get to pick a famous person and "interview" them. Only I've made it so I have to proof-read it before they perform it, so hopefully it will go a little bit smoother. My directors keep asking if I want to stay for another year, but I'm really not sure that I do. I mean, I'm loving Spain and all, but I just don't find the job challenging enough and I don't think it's doing much to advance my career goals. It's been a bit of a realization that my plans for next year are not just up to what I *want* to do, but also what I am *able* to do. After the whole Japan thing, I re-contacted a school/program in Boston that I had made it to the final round of interviews with last year, but then had decided to come to Spain instead. We talked back and forth for a while and I got my hopes up, but I finally got a nice "thanks, but no thanks" letter. It's the same story everywhere. Not as many people are leaving as they had expected, and they have way more applicants than expected. Stupid economy. I'm not use to all this rejection.
So I think I've decided to just come back to Atlanta next year. Even though I know the job market there is equally horrible. I've been sending my resume out to schools all over the place, so we'll see what happens. Either way, then at least I'd be back home with family, friends, and in a city I know. And a friend (who is expecting her 3rd child) has offered to let me stay with her in exchange for some nanny-ing. Which is nice because that would keep me busy for the summer (and not living on Mom's couch!) Even if my ego has been knocked down a peg, it's nice to know I still have some options!
In other News:
-I've been streaming American Idol on-line, yes I am that desperate for American culture!
- I'm finally almost use to my new haircut!
- My Spanish class is going well. It's nice to learn all the grammar, but I still wish I had more speaking practice!
- We kind of inherited a hammock and put it up on your terrace, it's great on sunny days!
- I just finished Obama's "Dreams From my Father" and really enjoyed it.
-I just started Ron Clark's "The Excellent 11" teacher friends, if you don't know who he is, look him up! He's my teaching role-model for the time being :)
- Joe and I booked our Spring Break tickets! We fly into Istanbul on the 10th, then we'll take a ferry across to Athens, and fly out of Athens on the 18th. I'm super excited!
I can't think of anything else to say. So that will have to suffice for now. I'm gonna go take some more Sudafed and got to bed. Hope everyone is well. Miss you all tons!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment