Thursday, February 26, 2009

London, Birthday and a Haircut

So, Joseph and I went to London last weekend to apply for teaching positions in Japan. We arrived Friday night and on Saturday morning we had an information secession with representatives from the school. The first part of the presentation, all about living in Japan, sounded great! But the more they talked about the actual details of the position, the less interesting it sounded. The lesson plans are more or less set for you - read this dialog, play this CD, do this activity. AND you have to have counseling secessions with each of the students periodically where you can tell them how their English is progressing, and which one of our books they need to buy next.... I dunno, it sounds like they want robots/sales people more than teachers. After the information secession we were divided into groups to do our lesson presentations. I thought my lesson went fine. I've taught it 4 times in the last month and it went over well. But I guess some part of my presentation wasn't good enough because I didn't even get invited back to a personal interview! I'll admit my ego was a little bruised, but since I had decided I wasn't too terribly keen on the job anymore anyways, it wasn't too bad. Joseph didn't get invited back either! At least we were in the same boat. We spent the rest of the weekend running around London, wandering down side streets and trying not to spend too much money!

Tuesday was my birthday. I have a long day on Tuesdays, but when I got home at 9pm, I wasn't allowed in the kitchen and the living room was decorated with balloons. My roommates cooked a nice big soul food dinner for me! Or at least as soul food as you can make in Spain - fried chicken, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. And Ilona (who is a friend currently visiting) made me a delicious chocolate cake for desert. It was fabulous. Joseph bought me a pair of earrings I have been wanting and a funky scarf. And the roommates got me a distinct "water cup," (because I always leave a cup out to use for days on end for the water I drink constantly) and new crayons (because I like to color). It was a great day!

I decided my birthday present to myself would be a haircut. I've been putting it off for as long as possible. It's scary getting your hair cut in a foreign country where you are still trying to learn the language! But I finally found the courage. I looked up a few "hair" words in the dictionary and headed down to a funky salon recommended by a friend. I didn't really know exactly what I wanted, all I knew was that I didn't want a mullet! A mullet (short in the front and long in the back) is definitely the most common hairstyle in Spain. Only there is not a word for it in Spanish. So I had to try to describe what it was, and that I didn't want it. I DID want something a little different, but not to crazy, and with a little color. This is what I came out with!
Me and Joe!
Not quite what I had in mind, but definitely very Spanish!!

I suppose that is all for now!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I love the hair. That looks great on you. Is it hard to keep up? We don't have hair that good in our family!
LOL

DaDdY-O